Pay per service: $70 plus a travel allowance if applicable (at least 40 services per season and growing)
Deadline for application: July 31, 2019
Live audition date: Monday, August 26, 2019
To be considered for an audition, please submit an application and resume here:
Applicants chosen to come in for the live audition will be contacted by August 5. The live audition will have multiple rounds.
Highly-qualified applicants will be expected to:
- Communicate well
- Lead the trumpet section, guide and motivate the players
- Be the first point of contact between the brass section and the artistic manager and conductor
- Be a team player who plays a connecting role within the orchestra
- Have a positive and flexible attitude
Only highly qualified applicants should apply. The position will begin in September 2019 or at the candidate’s earliest availability. The contract is initially for a probationary period of one year, becoming a permanent position if both parties are in agreement.
Audition excerpt list
Haydn Trumpet Concerto
- Mvt. 1, mm. 37 – 117 (14 measures after A – 8 measures before D in the unedited version)
- Mvt. 2, mm. 9 – 27 (F – 6 measures before G in the unedited version)
- Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition (Promenade, beginning to 2)
- Beethoven, Leonore Overture No. 3 (21 measures after D to E)
- Stravinsky, Petrouchka (1947 Version, 1 measure before 134-139)
- Bizet, Carmen (Prelude to Act 1 – complete)
- Schumann, Symphony No. 2 (Movement 1, measures 1-14)
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherezade (Mvt. 4: Q to 1 measure after R, T-U)
- Respighi, Pines of Rome (only Mvt. 2 off-stage solo: 8 measures after 10 for 10 measures)
- Mahler, Symphony No. 5 (Mvt. 1: beginning to 7 measures after 2, 1 measure before 13-14)
- Handel, Messiah (Trumpet Shall Sound for Piccolo Trumpet, beginning to m. 41)
- Strauss, Ein Heldenleben (pickup to 7 measures before 50-51)
- Tchaikovsky, Nutcracker (Le Chocolate measures 5-20)
- Williams, Summon the Heroes (measures 33-50 )
If your resume is selected, you will be asked to send a $50.00 refundable check to secure your live audition. The check will be returned to you when you come to the live audition or if you cancel within 72 hours of the audition.
For additional questions, please contact Rachel Gries at email@example.com.